Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Homesteading

An alternative to my intentional community idea would be homesteading. I'd, of course, still want at least one other person to go out with me. Maybe Oregon or Washington woods somewhere? Far enough away from urban sprawl that we'd hopefully not have to deal with encroachment in the near future, but close enough to make a trip for supplies once a month or so. I would prefer to be near a small liberal-ish town or to have a few others share our land for some variety in socializing, but I realize that every qualification I put on my dream makes it less likely and less feasible. So, I continue to dream, and try to be realistic at the same time!

Ahhh... Building my own house, passive solar equipped, wood stove, green house, garden, composting toilet, water collection system, maybe built into the ground partially, southern exposure, trees, a little outdoor, enclosed "cat pen" for safe outside adventures for the feline friends who I'd never have the heart to leave behind, etc, etc...! I'm sold!

4 comments:

  1. my father worked in the solar industry until it reached it's (temporary, damn that reagan) collapse in the us in the early to mid 80s. he was semi-involved in the construction and review of one prototype of a more sustainable home, namely one that was almost entirely underground. when he's spoken about it to me, he said that it was unbelievable light and bright, not at all what one may imagine. it was incredibly energy efficient due to the natural insulation surrounding it, and really accomplished and even exceeded all of the goals set out. the only area of concern when all was said and done was whether or not the moisture proofing would hold up on the exterior walls exposed to the underground soil and elements over time... if our government could have had the foresight to explore these processes and continue in this direction 25+ years ago, imagine where we would be now. these projects must be renewed in a broad manner, both to utilize in communities like you propose and in the mainstream society. if we as a whole embrace these sorts of projects, and modify existing codes and laws to accommodate we will greatly enhance our planet's capacity to deal with our population.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey - sorry I haven't been more active in following your blog! I forget to check my homepage that tracks all my blogs. Dang it. too many things to keep track of. Anyway, I think that this blog has a lot of potential - keep it up! Link to other blogs and ask for their reciprocal linking and you will be more .... well, linked. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've just stumbled onto your site. I've lived in intentional community before, and I echo your ideas about homesteading. Do you know anyone who currently homesteads?
    Send me an email or something. Not many people I know are into this.

    Edward

    ReplyDelete