Monday, February 16, 2009

Excerpt of a discussion

I've copied an online discussion of the book(s) by Daniel Quinn in the Ishmael series. I was asked my opinions and what I did/did not agree with in the book. Here it is...

I've read all 3 books in the Ishmael series. They make some great points about our society, our 'myths' we live by, totalitarian agriculture, salvationist religions, tribal ideas and communities, our education system, etc... I suppose one thing I take issue with is that the books suggest a change of vision as the solution for humanities' destruction of the planet. This would work, of course, but I don't really have hope that this is possible. I think what we "should" do as individuals is what we can in our lifetimes to be sustainable/responsible within our societies, or to separate ourselves from them as much as possible.

As far as hope for the future is concerned, I do think humans will have to destroy ourselves or come very close to destruction before we would be motivated to change our philosophies about the ways we live (i.e. believing we have the right/responsibility to change and control nature and that we are above the natural order). Does this answer your question? What are/were your takes on the book(s)? -Amara

4 comments:

  1. I’ve only read the first book, so I still need to read the other ones to see what else Quinn has to say. But I did very much like the way he went about making his point. I think you may be right though, about humans destroying themselves before they finally change. It’s like the analogy he used about man learning the laws of nature the same way he learned the laws of flight. Humans are still hurtling towards to ground convinced that they are flying. I think our arrogance is inherent in our nature. That is what got us here in the first place. I don’t believe we are any smarter or more developed that dolphins or apes or any of the “intelligent” breeds, but in fact less intelligent because we don’t live in harmony with the world as they do. Even many well intentioned people continue to try and save the world by changing it, such s introducing new algae to the oceans in an attempt to increase oxygenation. Again just a new flying machine that only seems like it’s flying until it crashes to the ground with unknown damage to the ecosystem in the process. It is our nature to try and control the world round us, if even to our own detriment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clay0275, Definitely agree with your assessment and explanations above. The only thing I would take issue with is the very last sentence. I don't believe it is in our nature as human beings to control the world around us any more than any other species. We have just been living that way for so long that we forget there is any other way. It's our culture, not our nature.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read the books, but I think that a change of course is inevitable. The present state of the stock market indicates, to me, that the current economic system, with its inbuilt inequalities is on the way out. I think we should replace it with a pragmatic system of distribution of goods/services that guarantees the health, safety and security of *all* people on the planet. The alternative is increased terrorism, instability, and probably nuclear war, in my opinion. Even died in the wool capitalists will, I think, realize that you cannot continue to "grow markets" when that growth is based on the cheapening of people and raw materials in other countries (and to a lesser extent in this country) It seems to me that the only reason why we in America haven't stood up to Wal-Mart et. al. and forced them to act according to the public good is that we are generally not the ones who are suffering as a result of their greed. We are suffering, but it is a dimly sensed unease, through the haze of consumerism. Anyway, I think we are about to get jolted out of our torpor...and this is a good thing. Have a good day! I'm interested in your intentional community.

    --Mike

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Mike! Thank you for your comment. I hope that you are correct in your assumption that this hard time will force people to realize the error of our ways. I do think it is changing the minds of some, or strengthening the will and opinions of some who already agree. I don't mean to sound negative, but I have heard many a whisper that our current problems are not due to capitalism, but due to the fact we haven't been operating as strict-enough capitalists (what with all our government interferences, ah hem*). It's difficult to convince someone they have been wrong, when they disagree on the very principles we use as logical proof of our stance. I am the lone liberal in my family and extended family of conservative Christian Republicans, and have heard enough from them over the years to cause me to doubt a sudden shift in their belief that we (Americans, of course) may have been wrong all this time! Though, like I said, I hope this is the case!!!

    ReplyDelete